Wye River is a very small town in Victoria Australia. It’s also the name that was given to the waterway which flows through the town and into the sea at this point. It is situated some 155 km west of Melbourne, on theOtway Coast part of the scenic Great Ocean Road. The township of Wye River township is a popular tourist destination about 15 km west of the resort town of Lorne, Victoria. A popular place for Melbournians to holiday after the Great Ocean Road was officially opened in 1932. At the 2006 census, Wye River had a permanent population of 144 although its holiday population is ten times that number.The postcode of Wye River is 3234.
This site was occupied by white settlers in 1882. The brothers Alex and Donald MacRea and their cousin Alex MacLennan were looking for an area suited to farming and fishing and chose this site. However, the MacRaes settled near Separation Creek and established a farm which they named The Wye after a river in England. A man by the name of Alet MacLennan settled a little further west at a site. He named The Kennet (later the town of Kennett River) after another UK river.
The rivers that are in question were probably the River Wye in Buckinghamshire and the River Kennet, tributaries of the River Thames in England.
The Wye River Post Office opened on 19 January 1914 right though to 1945 before it was reduced to just a Telegraph office for considerable periods of time with mail being delivered from Lorne